The Melbourne Anarchist Bookfair is a free event, now in it’s sixth year.
In 2016, it will take place from 10am-5pm on Sunday the 14th of August at Brunswick Town Hall, 223 Sydney Road.
Over the past six years, the Bookfair has gathered hundreds of people from Melbourne and beyond to share ideas, attend workshops and strengthen networks.
The Bookfair consists of up to 40 stalls held by independent book-sellers and activist groups. Alongside the stalls, there will be workshops running all day on all kinds of anarchist and direct action topics.
In the past we have had info and discussions covering topics such as anarchism, indigenous sovereignty, land rights and colonialism, sexism and gender, feminism, justice, sexual assault, workplace struggles, community spaces, environmental action and much more. We hope this year will continue to build on the ideas and networking, and welcome a broader audience and participation.
So please get involved and be a part of the 6th Melbourne Anarchist Bookfair!
(Facebook event here.)
Support for parents and carers with children
There will be a kids’ space, where kids can be left with a qualified childcare worker. If possible, let us know how many kids you will be bringing, their ages, and how long you plan to stay. We are also trying to include more kid-friendly workshops and stalls! If you are interested in facilitating a kid-friendly activity at the bookfair, or if you are interested in volunteering for childcare, please write to us.
We believe that it takes collective involvement to create and maintain community spaces and events, so please help us share the responsibility of making the Bookfair happen by volunteering! We will need help on the day with set-up, door, clean up and childcare, so we ask that everyone attending consider contributing 1 hour of effort to making this event happen.
How to get there
Stop 21 of the route 19 tram stops at Brunswick Town Hall, while Jewell and Brunswick Stations, on the Upfield Line, are only a short walk away. Parking is available, but cannot be guaranteed. If you have any questions on how to get to the bookfair, please contact us and we’ll do our best to help you out.
The Melbourne Anarchist Bookfair is for a society based on mutual aid and voluntary co-operation – against all forms of government and economic oppression – and believe everyone should share in the general prosperity. We struggle to break down racial, religious, national and sex barriers, and to fight for a just world without borders.
- The Melbourne Anarchist Bookfair Collective affirms and promotes values of mutual aid, direct and participatory democracy, anti-authoritarianism, autonomy and solidarity. We reiterate our opposition to capitalism, imperialism, patriarchy, heterosexism, transphobia, ableism, racism, colonialism, statism and all other forms of oppression; anyone that perpetuates or promotes these attitudes is not welcome at the bookfair.
- The collective will respect the autonomy of individuals, groups and booksellers who participate in the bookfair and related activities.
- The Melbourne Anarchist Bookfair is a space to network around, highlight and aid struggles, both local and international.
- The Melbourne Anarchist Bookfair strives to promote anarchist ideas through workshops as well as the bookfair itself, be that the introduction of these ideas to the public, or the elaboration of these ideas and dialogue between anarchist tendencies. We have a spirit of openness towards the different traditions, visions, and practices of anarchism.
- Priority within the bookfair itself will be on the written word (books, pamphlets, zines) by groups including publishers, distributors, and action-oriented groups as well as individuals. We will also accept, on a case-by-case basis, information and participation from community/activist groups, small publishers, and vendors of materials such as buttons, T-shirts, films, music or patches who fit within these principles; we encourage these groups to also source reading material wherever possible.
- Recognising that Australia is stolen land we will work to include indigenous people and information about indigenous struggles in the bookfair.
- We do not accept the participation of political parties or groups affiliated with political parties at the bookfair.
- All decisions are by consensus of the Melbourne Anarchist Bookfair Collective. All face-to-face meeting decisions are deemed to have the consensus also of absent members if after three working days of posting the minutes to the e-list there are no objections. Only active collective members who have been to at least two meetings can block consensus. If a member is away from two meetings without an apology they are deemed to have become inactive. A quick decision-making process is as follows: a proposal is put to the e-list and clearly designated urgent and if no one objects within three working days it is deemed to have consensus.
These principles where adapted from those of the Montreal Anarchist Bookfair.
About the organisers
The people on the A Events Melbourne organising collective of the Melbourne Anarchist Bookfair are from a variety of anarchist and activist groups which include or have included: Anarchist Affinity, Anarchist Feminists, Barricade Bookshop, Eureka Campaign, Guerrilla Gardeners, Industrial Workers of the World, Kate Sharpley Library, Loophole Community Centre, the Melbourne Anarchist Club, the Anarcho-Syndicalist Federation (ASF-IWA), Melbourne Indymedia, Ned Ludd Appreciation Society, Friday Free Shop, The Sharehood, Squatters and Unwaged Workers Airwaves (SUWA), 3CR, Tunnerminawait & Maulboyhneer Commemoration Group, Upsiders, Wednesday Action Group, and Workers Solidarity Network. We are (amongst others) Fiona, Margaret, Peter, Bonnie, Jonathan, Lauren, Dimitri, Moo, Teigan, Chris and Dave. We also organise Camp Anarchy in March every year.
If you want to get in touch please use the contact form or write to firstname.lastname@example.org.
In 2014, our budget looked like this:
Venue – $1600
Flyers & posters – $300
Programme – $300
Insurance – $300
TOTAL – $2500
Stalls – $1000
Programme Ads – $100
Benefit Gig – $600
Donations – $900
TOTAL – $2500
Do you think an Anarchist Bookfair in Melbourne is a great idea but don’t have time to help out? Why not donate? If you can, please make a direct deposit into our bank account:
Name: A Melbourne Events